Today Is The Day Texans must follow these five keys in order to be successful against the Vikings.
Photo Credit/Houston Texans
The Houston Texans will be searching for their first win of the season against a winless Minnesota Vikings. The Texans have faced some really tough AFC competition to start the season, but Sunday’s game may be just the break they need.
Here are some things to watch today:
1. Houston comes into the game giving up 188 rushing yards a game and have allowed two 100-yard rushers this season. It doesn’t get any easier today with Vikings running back Dalvin Cook coming off a 181-yards rushing against the Tennessee Titans in a one-point loss. The Texans must find a way to contain him with their front-seven and not allow any big runs.
2. Deshaun Watson will have to channel his inner Superman in order to lead Houston to victory. He has gotten off to a very slow start to begin the season with four touchdowns and three interceptions. Watson has also had to be picked up off the turf a lot having been sacked 13 times this season in three games. Yet, with the athletic and improvising ability he has to keep plays alive, he will have the Vikings scrambling today to keep him from having a big day.
3. Whitney Mercilus is due a big game. There is no other way to put it. With only seven tackles on the season and no sacks, Mercilus must impose his will on Minnesota’s offensive line. If he is able to get into the backfield, he can make things really uncomfortable for quarterback Kirk Cousins.
4. Vikings rookie wide receiver Justin Jefferson caught everyone’s attention last week with seven catches and 175-yards receiving. It will be left up to safety Justin Reid to keep him from blowing the top off of the Texans defense.
5. As I mentioned earlier, today has to be the day Watson explodes. To do that he must have his receiving group exploit the Vikings secondary that has not played well this season. With only four combined receiving touchdowns this season, look for the Texans to match that today.
What we do know is that after today one team will get their first win of the 2020 NFL season and I believe that team will be the Texans by a score of 35-17.